Expression to Heal
Unearthing physical, emotional or spiritual healing can often be a struggle with our internal self. Whether you are recovering from an illness, grieving the loss of a loved one or coping with a difficult situation, studies believe self-expression helps to keep you grounded and connected to vitality and creativity where healing energies can emerge.
We are learning that more and more doctors and healthcare facilities have started incorporating creative therapies into their treatment options due to increasingly positive outcomes for both physical and mental healing.
As children, we immersed ourselves into a colorful world of expression through music, arts, crafts and symbolic modalities, without a care in the world. Our focus and intent was all driven on creation to bring profound happiness to our heart and soul. There was always a seamless connection to our true selves.
As we’ve grown in our social and professional lives and chaos sets it, it’s easy to neglect those things which once ignited passion, motivation and created balance within us. To find balance again and restore healing, we must tap into our creative expressions.
Studies show creative expressions in any form help to shift your focus away from negative thoughts and gives you a sense of accomplishment.
There are many pathways to self-expression and thus, self-healing. When those feelings of sadness, anxiety, fear, grief, anger, frustration or loss, comes to the surface, I encourage you to find your path to healing.
Here are a few ideas to get you started that have all been proven to lift your spirits and ignite positive, healing energies.
- Writing. The power of your thoughts on paper, are priceless. You think, write and unleash all your emotions
- Art. Your canvas is a product of who you are. You are the beholder of the beauty that’s inside you. Speak to your work and let is help heal you as you paint or draw.
- Dance/music. Use these poetic elements to release your creativity. Find solace in your movements, voice and dance.
- Yoga. Breathe, relax and enjoy the sensation of freedom as you transform your body into various poses.
- Meditation. Deepen your conscious level and harmonize your mind, body and soul.
- Exercise. Use your body strength to build mental strength. Let go of your anxiety during your workouts.
- Knitting/sewing/crocheting. This boosts relaxation and encourages self-motivation and pleasure in creating beauty.
As you begin your journey to self-healing you will find you are discovering and learning more about yourself than ever before. Find your creative therapy and enjoy your healing.